Chapter 1 - Section 16
Questions for Reflection
- Compare and contrast the accomplishments of the ancient Egyptians with those of the Sumerians. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different?
- Explain why we are now able to read Egyptian hieroglyphics.
- Describe the Code of Hammurabi. Explain why it is considered a significant milestone in the history of the Western tradition.
- Analyze the significance of the accomplishments of the ancient Hebrews.
- Explain the great achievements for which the Phoenicians are known.
- Discuss three contributions of the ancient Greeks. In your view, evaluate one of their greatest achievements.
- Summarize the Pax Romana. Explain its importance in the Western tradition.
- List and briefly describe the importance of three contributions of the ancient Romans to history.
- Discuss the role of the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages.
- Select three famous individuals of the Renaissance and briefly explain the accomplishments of each.
- Describe the impact of the Protestant Reformation upon the development of the history of Modern Europe.
- Construct a summary of the cultural inheritance of the Modern European world from two of the eras described in this chapter.